Bilge Level Switches - Never Compromise on Safety03 Jul 2012
Bilge level switches are a safety critical component for the detection of liquid in dead spaces and voids that are rarely visited or inspected by the crew. They need to be able to withstand years of installation in difficult environmental conditions, yet operate immediately and reliably should a rising liquid level indicate a leakage or flooding hazard.
When considering products such as these, it would be easy for a ship builder or owner to try and make economies by using cheaper devices, often constructed with poor quality materials and construction. PSM have always argued that this approach both comprises safety, and is a false economy as maintenance and replacement costs will always exceed those of installing “the right device first time”.
The PSM BLS 9200 Bilge Level Switch is designed, manufactured and approved to meet and exceed the requirements for severe service applications on all classes of marine vessels and offshore installations.
Key benefits that the BLS 9200 offer are:
- Rugged all-stainless steel design with EPR cable resistant to seawater, fuel oil and hydraulic fluid ensures reliable operation over years of service.
- Compact in size with a mechanical mounting using a two-bolt mounting bracket means that installation and commissioning is simple and fast.
- Self-draining cage design prevents fouling of the float and interference with operation from obstructions or floating debris in the bilge, as well as protection from false-switching.
- Integral switch test lever allows full testing of the float movement and switch functionality ensures routine safety tests can be carried out for peace-of-mind.
- Normally-open or normally-closed operation and user-selectable cable lengths ensures the BLS 9200 can be quickly delivered against each customers exact requirement.
Many major ship builders and offshore rig construction companies also agree with the PSM “safety first” message and now specify the BLS 9200 as standard fitment for all their new build and refurbishment projects.
For more information on the BLS920 Bilge Level Switch and all other PSM marine instrumentation systems, email us or call on +44 (0) 1444 410040.